Area 15 Special Olympics
Area 15 Special Olympics is open to Blount County citizens 8 years & older. The ultimate goal of the program is to help persons with intellectual disabilities participate as productive and respected members of society, by offering them fair opportunities to develop and demonstrate their skills and talents through sports training and competition, and by increasing public awareness of their capabilities and needs.
Schools and centers across Blount County participate in these events. However, any person who's school or center does not participate OR any adult who does not attend a school or center is eligible to compete as an independent athlete. Five athletic competitions are held each year.
Volunteers are needed to provide many types of assistance during theses events. Potential volunteers should keep in mind that all competitions are held during regular school hours. To obtain information on ways to contribute your time or financial resources to this important program, please contact Cookie Crowson at 983-9244.
2013 Events include:
- Winter Games - January 27-29, Ober Gatlinburg
- Basketball - February 27, Heritage High School
- Regional Basketball - February 16, Maryville College
- Powerlifting - March 6, Foothills Mall
- Bowling - Date to be announced, Crest Bowling Lanes
- Softball - Date to be announced, Sandy Springs Park
*All dates are tentatively set. Please call one month prior to event to confirm - 983-9244.